Actually, we found the people who are willing to make and bring casseroles to families contending with mental illness and to encourage others to do the same! An enthusiastic crowd of attendees left the TEDxSanAntonio Children’s Mental Health Salon - Where are the Casseroles?, equipped with reminders, resources, and recipes to assist families and children struggling with mental illness.
This unique collaboration between TEDxSanAntonio and One in Five Minds created an afternoon of engaging speakers, thought-provoking simulations and performances, honest conversations and a surprise visit, via Skype, with Liza Long. It was Liza’s talk during TEDxSanAntonio 2013 that was the inspiration for the Children’s Mental Health Salon.
Attendees also had the opportunity to visit with agency representatives and draft or video record their stories. Over 30 people came forward to share their personal journeys. We will begin to post them on the Stories section of our website in the near future.
It was an amazing event, but even if you didn’t have a chance to attend, there are still actions you can take today to make a difference! Consider taking one or more of the following actions:
- Sign-up to participate in the National Association of Mental Illness Walk
- Contact your school district for information on School Health Advisory Councils and how to get involved
- Sign-up to participate in the Out of the Darkness Walk for suicide awareness
- Join the Youth Mental Health Council
- Make a casserole for a family who may have a child hospitalized with a mental illness
- Sign up for a Local Parent Support Group - here and here are just two options
- Buy (and read) Liza Long’s book “The Price of Silence”
- Download a mental health screen questionnaire to give to your pediatrician
- Write and share your story here
- Video and share your story here
- Watch for the replay of the Theater of the Oppressed interactive activity
- Share this blog post!
Your actions, or casserole, could bring hope to a family and child contending with mental illness.
Thank you to our amazing supporters and sponsors: